Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In Praise of Discourse: The Unreal Truth



though stronger coffee grinds


You (are) woke in the morning,

to find/fog on the door; her

lips touch the silhouettes of unreal


with longer fingernails


You (are) wont to live in the secret,

classrooms; your current lovers’ /unborn

dreams scratch future chalkboards


so happy to have them


You are w(h)et in swordfishes

hero thoughts; swashbuckling/gangplank

oceans poke you back





"for whatever we lose (like a you or a me)/ it's always ourselves we find in the sea" e.e.cummings (it was his birthday yesterday 10/14/1894) I noticed Amy George had posted this quote after I wrote this poem, quite coincidentally - it really seemed to fit so I borrowed it, thanks Amy!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely poem, Dan! I particularly find the last stanza striking with the image of the swashbuckling thoughts and the ocean's response. Great e.e. cummings tribute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and for commenting Amy! I do appreciate it. e.e cummings is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete